Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Decided to Go Camping

After early afternoon dailies, the crew met outside founders for our expedition over to the Bodenschatz's (friends of Andrew Rudd) who so kindly volunteered their backyard as a filming location.  Additions to the crew included Melanee Hamiliton (who had baked cookies and provided great craft services but was unable to attend the previous two shoots), Sam Tonelli (Daynella's younger brother who would appear as a member of the family at the campsite), and Tammie McKenzie--an invaluable asset to the entire film. 

All of us were on edge as we prepared to leave, because it had been pouring rain and was expected to snow.  I was hesitant to postpone filming for another day because of the impossible feat of trying to once again make everyone's schedules coincide--and I especially didn't want to impose on the Bodenschatz's more than we already were.  So I denied the rain and made everyone pack up anyway. 

Miraculously, as soon as we unloaded into the backyard, the sun came streaming through the clouds.  Unfortunately, the weather couldn't stay beautiful forever--but the rain did hold off (even though it was still ridiculously cold) long enough for us to finish our four-hour shoot.

We got some great montage footage while the crew set up the tent and made the campfire, and then we moved right along to the scenes between Val and the family.

This was the real challenge for me, because Nate made a cameo as the older brother, Ryan, which meant that it was my responsibility to man the camera--for the entire sequence!  It was a little nerve-wracking, and I kept having to call Nate over to fix the focus or framing problems. 

I felt frazzled and panicked through most of the day--only because I hadn't completed storyboards and I was constantly pleading with the weather.  In the end, though, I think it was a really successful--and short!--day of shooting. 

And it was even more fun because most of their screen time is all improv--I didn't actually write dialogue for the characters during their getting-to-know-each-other montage, and the stuff they came up with was hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment